Saturday, July 18, 2009

Countdown To Africa

Time is now flying and I must admit I am feeling a little frantic and excited about leaving for Africa. I will be leaving for the Democratic Republic of Congo in less than two days. I want to “thank you” in advance for taking the time to read these entries over the next 18 days and to pray for our trip to the Congo.

Constance has made a five year commitment to participate in a consortium of American Free Churches(7 presently) to partner with the Congo Free Church(CECU) in advancing God’s kingdom work. You can find more at http://equip.efca.org - click in to set up an account(free) and you will find a ton of info about our partnership in the Congo.

My purpose for taking this trip is to capture a vision for our participation in the ministry in Congo and to better articulate that to our Church. That is still my main purpose though God has blessed me with other tasks as well.

Hear are some initial prayer requests with commentary.

  1. Pray for Safety in Travel. I will be flying to Chicago-Paris-To Banguii in Central African Republic. From there we will cross the river (1 mile wide) in 40 foot mahogany canoes strapped together powered by a 5 hp motor. Once we cross into Congo we still have 200 miles to go in the back of a truck (on dirt roads in rainy season). This takes approximately 11 hours.
  2. Pray specifically that our baggage gets to where we are going when we do.(Banguii) There is only one flight a week to this area and little chance the baggage would ever reach us in time to use it.
  3. Pray for CECU as it has it’s bi-annual church pastors conference. Around 1500 will attend. This will provide an opportunity for our team to meet the CECU leadership. Pray for divine appointments.
  4. I will be teaching two sessions during this conference on Prayer. Pray for this. I will be preaching in the opening session of this conference followed by two hours of prayer led by a national leader. I feel honored to share in this way.
  5. Presently I will be preaching our last Sunday at the Gemena Free Church.
  6. 10 days ago I was asked to do a 1-2 day seminar under Pastor Makasi Marcel’s leadership for the 27 regional evangelism and discipleship leaders.(Pastor Marcel is CECU’s national evangelist) I am honored (and scared to death) with this opportunity. With the help of Steve Wheeler our missionary in Montreal I have been able to secure some French material to give to these leaders.(national language is French but they speak in Lingala) I will be preparing 10 sessions so please pray. This really amps my prep for this trip and one of my suitcases will be filled with printed materials. Dr. Tom Cairns told me that in the five years of partnership with CECU to his knowledge this is the first seminar we have been asked to do. So I need lots of prayer. Pray that what is shared will somehow minister across all racial, cultural and language barriers for God’s Glory.

Well this is just an opening volley of requests. I hope you will pray for me, our team and my family during these busy and exciting kingdom days. Pray also as you come with me through prayer and e-mail/blog that your heart will be moved by God and His great purposes.

Thanks for Praying!

Pastor Randy

7 comments:

  1. Hey Randy,
    Thanks for sharing your prayer needs as you prepare for Africa. What an exciting adventure God surely has in store for you! I will be praying for you as you travel: for safety, that luggage will arrive with you (been without before-no fun!), for your family back home, and that God's purpose for this trip will be realized according to His plan. I am excited for you and for the opportunity to follow your blog. Blessing! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Randy, I couldn't be more excited for you. This is going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Oops...)
    Praying for all of the above and that God captures your heart for Africa like He has mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Randy,
    Thanks for letting us come with you and your team as you travel to the Congo. We will pray for you all to be safe, to stay well and to accomplish your vision of how we, here at Constance, can serve. Your loved ones here at home are in our prayers!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI RANDY,I AM PRAYING THAT GOD WILL SPEAK THOUGH YOU. ALSO THAT YOUR BACK IS NOW HEALED. YOU ARE A GREAT MAN OF GOD RANDY.YOUR FAMILY HAS GODS ARMS AROUND THEM SO DO NOT WORRY.HIS ARMS ARE AROUND YOU TOO.COME BACK WITH SOME GREAT STORIES FOR US RANDY. WE LOVE YOU. MARGARET AND GARY JULY 24,2009 12:53A.M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Randy and Deb....Michelle and I will handle prayers for you while all those Minnesotans are sleeping! God bless you! Anixious to hear all that God is doing in and through you!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete