Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pause

I hope this week you will take some time and "Give Thanks to the Lord." This is not a meaningless pursuit, for the scripture states, "Give Thanks to the Lord, for he is good! His faithful love endures forever." Giving Thanks reminds us of the goodness and faithfulness of God. The One behind the blessings.
When we fail to thank the Giver of all things we come to idolize the blessing and set our heart affections on the gift rather than the giver.(children, family, success, honor, money, etc)

Years ago AB Simpson wrote in the hymn HIMSELF,

Once it was the blessing, Now it is the Lord;
Once it was the feeling, Now it is His Word.
Once His gifts I wanted, Now the Giver own;
Once I sought for healing, Now Himself alone.

Once 'twas painful trying, Now 'tis perfect trust;
Once a half salvation, Now the uttermost.
Once 'twas ceaseless holding, Now He holds me fast;
Once 'twas constant drifting, Now my anchor's cast.

Once 'twas busy planning, Now 'tis trustful prayer;
Once 'twas anxious caring, Now He has the care.
Once 'twas what I wanted, Now what Jesus says;
Once 'twas constant asking, Now 'tis ceaseless praise.

Once it was my working, His it hence shall be;
Once I tried to use Him, Now He uses me.
Once the power I wanted, Now the Mighty One;
Once for self I labored, Now for Him alone.

Once I hoped in Jesus, Now I know He's mine;
Once my lamps were dying, Now they brightly shine.
Once for death I waited, Now His coming hail;
And my hopes are anchored, Safe within the vail.

All we are and have, all the blessings of the church and our lives in Christ are all because of Jesus. So take some time and "Give Thanks to the Lord!" And remember regardless of the circumstances of your life, "He is good and his faithful love endures forever!"

As your Pastor I am so thankful for each one who calls Constance home and shares the blessing of your life with this local body of Christ. You are a blessing. I pray that you will grow and that your love will abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight...filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God.(Phil. 1:9-11)

Giving Thanks,

Pastor Randy

4 comments:

  1. I thank the Lord for Constance Free Church...the pastoral staff and the body. Thank you.

    “Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers”
    -3John2

    MJS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Randy,

    Thank you for the great words of encouragement. For many of us the holidays are a difficult time. Good to know the Lord is our companion and one we can trust in.

    God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful Thanksgiving service tonight at Constance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be one of those you talked about at last night's service who struggle with getting up in front of large crowds. However, I've felt guilty for not sharing and thought this would be a much easier venue (and much better for my heart rate). :)

    My devotional from yesterday had two very thought-provoking paragraphs that caused me to personally reflect on the concept of thanksgiving:
    'Gratitude to God for His faithfulness in the past increases faith and strengthens trust in Him for the future. Remember how He carried you in times of pain, helped you in periods of weakness, and supplied all your needs. You can trust Him with whatever lies ahead.'

    - I celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary this year to my best earthly friend. A faithful marriage that continues to grow in love and depth with each passing year. (I am convinced the faithful prayers of my Proverbs-31 grandma on my behalf have been answered.)

    - I have faithful Believing friends who spur me on and keep me accountable in my Walk.

    - I have a faithful clientele which helps sustain our family's financial need amidst a shakey ecomony.

    - I have a healthy home to live in that is due in part to a faithful Constance Church family who gave unselfishly of themselves for countless hours of renovation assistance.

    'Thanksgiving refreshes our souls as we spend time with God, concentrating on His goodness and grace. Anxiety is replaced with peace, and despondency with joy. If you wake up each morning and thank the Lord for deliverence from the power of sin, provision for all your needs, and guidance for the day ahead, what is left to cause worry or discouragement?'

    Lamentations 3:22-23
    Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is your faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete